- Maya 2017, 2018, 2019
- Windows 10 or Linux (CentOS)
- Modern Graphics Card (Support for DirectX 11 or OpenGL 4.0, onwards)
- MNPRX is the professional version of MNPR.
- It is provided upon request and customized to your production requirements.
- Get in touch with me if you are interested in using it for your animated production.
The installation of MNPRX is intended to be the least invasive, so you won’t need to change anything in Maya or place files in any particular place.
- Extract the contents of the MNPRX zip file anywhere you want e.g., documents, desktop, the project folder, you get the drill.
- Drag and drop the install.mel file from the MNPR folder into one of the Maya viewports. The install.mel will then run in the background and automatically add the MNPRX paths in your Maya.env file.
- If successful, a prompt will appear in Maya, asking you to restart the application, please do so to show all changes.
- Once you open Maya again, the MNPRX shelf will appear alongside the other shelves.
- To test if everything is working correctly, switch to the MNPRX shelf and click on the test button
A video showing this installation process can be seen below:
Example scenes can be found within the open-source MNPR release. MNPR scenes need to be updated to work with MNPRX, as follows.
- Download the example scenes from here
- Extract them in a desired folder
- Set your Maya project to the folder where your example scenes are
Menu, File->Set Project
- Open the desired test scene
- Update the materials in the scene
right click on the 'mPre' shelf tool->Update ShaderFX materials.
Installing the Substrates
A set of 10 different substrate textures (i.e., papers, canvas) are available for MNPRX. These can be downloaded in the application.
- In the MNPRX shelf,
right click on the 'tbox' shelf icon->Download MNPR substrates.
- A small dialog will prompt, asking you if you want to download the files in the background (not supported on macOS) or download them manually.
- Downloading in the background gets the files over the internet and places them in the correct folder within MNPRX.
- If you want/need to do this process manually, a browser tab will open and download the substrate textures in a zip file.
- Once downloaded, please extract the files into
I can’t get the system to install using the install.mel file, what can I do?
It doesn’t usually happen, but if the install.mel installation doesn’t work, there are two ways of manually installing MNPRX: Solution 1: Temporarily remove the content in the Maya environment file
- Copy the existing content of Maya.env to another file.
- Clear all the environment variables (which you have copied over already for backup) and save the file.
- Drag and drop the install.mel file again into the Maya viewport -> it should install successfully then.
- Merge the other environment variables with the new ones in the Maya.env file and save the changes.
- Restart Maya.
Solution 2: Insert the system paths manually to the Maya environment
- Enter the environment variables (available at the bottom of this page) into Maya. Make sure the shelf path is the first environment variable, replace #YOURMNPRXPATH# with the path where MNPRX is located and #MAYAVERSION# with the version of Maya you are using e.g., 2018, 2019.
- (Windows only) After entering the environment variables, run this mel script within Maya:
- Restart Maya.
Environment variables on Windows:
MAYA_SHELF_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#\shelves; MNPR_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#; MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#\plugins\#MAYAVERSION#\win; PYTHONPATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#\scripts; MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#\scripts; XBMLANGPATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#\icons; MAYA_VP2_USE_GPU_MAX_TARGET_SIZE=1;
Environment variables on MacOS
MAYA_SHELF_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/shelves: MNPR_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#: MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/plugins/#MAYAVERSION#/mac: PYTHONPATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/scripts: MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/scripts: XBMLANGPATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/icons: MAYA_VP2_USE_GPU_MAX_TARGET_SIZE=1:
Environment variables on Linux
MAYA_SHELF_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/shelves: MNPR_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#: MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/plugins/#MAYAVERSION#/linux: PYTHONPATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/scripts: MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/scripts: XBMLANGPATH=#YOURMNPRXPATH#/icons%B: MAYA_VP2_USE_GPU_MAX_TARGET_SIZE=1: